Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Over a cup of tea: What kind of home designer are you?



I like to feature homes that reflect the love the owners invest in them. I am not looking for picture perfect 'matchiness' as much as I am looking for diversity and creativity. So i tend to feature homes that are from different parts of the world, big homes, small homes and homes in every price range. People have different styles and while their style may be completely different from mine, I like to revel in the difference and enjoy it. Which brings me to my question: What kind of designer or decorator are you? I am not a professional designer or stylist but I know what I want my home to look like. I would call my style eclectic- sure, I have a few traditional pieces of art hanging in my home, but traditional Indian artwork, brass and silver ware live next to my flea-market purchases. I never hang 1 painting or artwork when I can hang 10 which means my walls are covered with frames. But that's me. How about you? Do you crave a traditional home? Are you a minimalist with a passion for sleek surfaces and less "stuff"? Or maybe you like vintage items? Or home design or decor is not really a channel via which you express yourself? Who are you? Join in the conversation and no tea isn't a requisite.

I have already featured these pictures of my home. It's an old home with brick and cream walls that I just love. I haven't had a chance to take new pictures as we are in the middle of a series of winter storms and the light has been really bad. Can't complain though as we really need the rain and everything looks beautiful and green.

12 comments:

What's in a name... said...

Iam an Ikea person, if that tells you something !

Once Upon A Tea Time said...

I like Ikea too but I also like antiques.And I like to mix it all up.

Rekha said...

I love anything that spells antique and terracotta.

Jutta said...

I love the brick walls and detail in your home, it's a great mixture. I think for me more is more (ok, to a certain limit) and I love vintage and thrift store finds.

Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

I am deeply torn, and my challenge is to try to integrate all of the below into one house:

- clean, calm, serene
- medieval / Gothic / old English
- S. Asian design
- steampunk
- lots of rich color
- but I also love rooms of just cream / bone / wood
- metal and wood and plants
- a comfortable, liveable mix with a messy partner, two small children, and a dog

Sigh.

Preethi Prabhu said...

I love the mix of old and new. Traditional and contemporary. Staying connected to my roots and still enjoying the comfort of modern design. Iam no minimalistic. I love to surround myself with things that i love and have collected over the years. In spite of having a lot of things around, i can tell you the story behind each piece :) Thats me.

Divya said...

i love looking at your posts with other people's homes that are different from the look I have.Whether it is the fun shabby chics or the ikeas or the minimalists or the antique look with rich colors and textures...its fun to look at all the interesting 'home personalities' you feature (i just coined that).

Meena Sriram said...

I love the airy, vintage cum spring feeling in a decor..meaning lots of white, wicker, bamboo, colourful throw pillows, green plants in jars,bottles and terracotta plant holders, weathered wood, ceramic tiles. I need to feel like i'm living in a courtyard...! And i really love the brick wall at your place, Priya!

The Print Lover said...

I am still evolving as a home decorator. The blogs I visit, the clothes in my closet, everything small and big influence me.

What I like now is an uncluttered home, with less pieces but each one telling a story. And LOT of indoor plants, inspite of my black thumb!

Loved your home pics Priya. Pls share more!

Bhavna said...

Is it ok if I invite myself over the next time I am in CA? I just have to *feel* this beautiful home myself :)

Rachana said...

First of all, lovely home and wonderful blog!

When it comes to home, I like anything that makes it warm, cozy and welcoming and reflects me. I like to mix and match, modern and antique, cheerful colors and soft white and wood, lots of sunlight etc. And, yes, it has to look very much lived in and not just the picture perfect.

Shalini said...

I so agree with you on the anti-matchiness thing. I don't like homes that look like a designer downloaded them and plonked them in someone's life. I like a room that looks a bit lived in, a room that tells a story of who you are and where all you've been, and a room that puts you at ease.

I love the way you put up your art...somewhere between too little and too much :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...