Wednesday, September 8, 2010

M is for Matryoshka Dolls


It's almost Navaratri season again and I have dolls on the mind. Matryoshka dolls have been popping up everywhere from actual dolls to prints and patterns on fabrics, drinking glasses, cups, plates etc. As you may know, a Matryoshka doll is "a Russian nesting doll... a set of dolls of decreasing sizes placed one inside the other. The word matryoshka .. is derived from the Russian female first name Matryona." (Source: Wikipedia for Matryoshka dolls)
The conventional sets are beautiful, like this one below.  The dolls can be of any gender and popular sets included families, soldiers, heroes, fairy tale characters etc. though nowadays they are available in every shape and form (visit Matryoshka Madness to get an idea of how diverse the sets can be:).



There are also many modern interpretations of this old classic...
Nesting plates from Thomas Paul via Fred Flare.

Matryoshka nesting cups from Urban Outfitters.

 I do own an old set of soldier Matryoshka dolls,  bought at a rundown antique store years ago, that are part of my Navaratri collection of dolls and therefore, come out only for that time of the year (I will share a picture once I get them out). The paint is peeling off those and they look like they have been played with by many generations- just the thing I like.
 I was inspired to write this post by this print from Jonathan Benning (Etsy) - I LOVE it and want one for my office wall- visit his store here.

11x14 digital print of Matryoshka dolls from Jonathan Benning on Etsy.

Images are taken, in order, from here, here, here and here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...